Mistake in gun bill could defeat the effort

2nd Amend.

Mistake in gun bill could defeat the effort

One of the major gun-control efforts in Olympia this session calls for the sheriff to inspect the homes of assault-weapon owners. The bill’s backers say that was a mistake.

Forget police drones flying over your house. How about police coming inside, once a year, to have a look around?

As Orwellian as that sounds, it isn’t hypothetical. The notion of police home inspections was introduced in a bill last week in Olympia.

That it’s part of one of the major gun-control efforts pains me. It seemed in recent weeks lawmakers might be headed toward some common-sense regulation of gun sales. But then last week they went too far. By mistake, they claim. But still too far.

1. OldDocBen

February 17, 2013 at 2:25 pm

This is not a surprise from this socialist state. No one will be surprised If, a) they pass the bill and b) the sheeple there will comply. I suppose they will be required to keep a jar of Vaseline by the front door as well.

• Michael Hale

February 19, 2013 at 12:12 am

Oh come on, vasceline? There’ll do it dry and hard..

2. Justathinker

February 18, 2013 at 5:04 pm

“Mistake” my eye.

3. foxxybey

February 18, 2013 at 5:05 pm

The only difference in a socialist state and a communist state is one has guns, the other doesn’t.

4. Kalev

February 18, 2013 at 5:10 pm

“common-sense regulation of gun sales”
    Who’s side are you all on?
    You lost my support with that one – goodbye.

• CaptTurbo

February 18, 2013 at 6:49 pm

What part of “Shall Not Be Infringed” do they not understand?

5. gas pump junkie

February 18, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Next they will want to violate the 3rd amendment and quarter troops (Deputies) in your home. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. The only thing broke is dealing with people’s mental problems and putting the real criminals behind bars so they don’t commit more crimes.

• Daniel F. Melton

February 19, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Bullet holes cure recidivism.

6. gutterfalcon

February 18, 2013 at 5:43 pm

That is No Mistake, How do you write out a law that long….then claim it was a Mistake ? Like a comma or apostrophe ?

• Fred_Shrinka

February 19, 2013 at 7:16 pm

They can claim “ObamaCare” (sic) is a mistake and that’s TOO LONG to read !

• gutterfalcon

February 19, 2013 at 9:28 pm

But they don’t say obamacare is a mistake, They say it’s the saviour, it’s going to save ALL the people.

7. DaveNTejas

February 18, 2013 at 5:53 pm

What common sense are you talking about? The ONLY common sense side of this issue is to follow the constitution.

8. CaptTurbo

February 18, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Helen Wate is in charge of this legislation. If they want to come take our guns they can go to Hellen Wate.

9. Masada

February 18, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Masada Molon Labe only the stupid continue to flap there jaws

10. mogul264

February 18, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Wouldn’t they need a valid search warrant stating what they are seeking? Even then, anything they find OTHER than what was listed wouldn’t be admissible! Of course, marijuana wouldn’t be, anyway, as that is being legalized there in Washington state, I believe! All they REALLY want is all our guns! That way the ‘authorities’ needn’t fear the populace when they decide to become extra-legal!

• Michael Hale

February 19, 2013 at 12:13 am

What makes you think they would care about the 4th Amendment when they obviously don’t care about the second?

• mogul264

February 19, 2013 at 11:55 am

VERY good point! It’s not like they follow the Constitution, or anything other than the Communist Manifesto!

• K9Guy51

February 19, 2013 at 11:58 am

that’s not necessarily true mogul264 — If “other things” were setting out and obvious it would be admissable. You just can’t search in places where the object(s) your legally there to search for would/could not be in (Can’t search for an elephant in a breadbox).

• mogul264

February 19, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Obviously, I didn’t mean something ‘obviously’ viewable while casually walking in. I think, if I lived there, that I would FILL my house with gun-shaped objects, gun-shaped drawer pulls, rifle legs on stools, etc entire rooms of toy but realistic-looking pistols and rifles. And, I’d paint those orange tips black, too! I already have some saved by my mother from my childhood! Drive ’em nutz!!

11. Michael Hale

February 19, 2013 at 12:14 am

Apox on the first person to comply!

12. dad666

February 19, 2013 at 5:34 pm

A Pox ont the first politifcian to vote in favor of any more gun control legislation period…

13. Jane Haslam

February 19, 2013 at 6:10 pm

I think they ought to leave the police our of our homes. They can’t even control the street violence let alone go after legalized gun owners. Don’t you need a warrant for them to come into your house???? I agree with gas pump junkie if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Like he says investigate the mental problems!!!!!

14. Daniel F. Melton

February 19, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Their mistake was getting caught writing a law that violates the 4th Amendment.

15. Pamela Perkins

February 19, 2013 at 10:25 pm

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN, IT IS AGAINST OUR CONSTITUTION and NO GOVERNMENT NO MATTER HOW HIGH CAN DO THIS WITHOUT BREAKING THEIR OATH , THIS IS ALL JUST A SMOKE SCREEN TO TAKE YOUR MIND OFF OF OTHER THINGS< ITS ALL BULL

• Stephen Rhinehart

February 20, 2013 at 6:34 pm

The constitution has never stoped government yet

• Alfred Ferguson

February 22, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Whatever makes you think an “oath” means anything to these people? Are you still in girl-scout camp? Good grief.

16. Black Rain

February 20, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Really, the only thing here is they got caught. Another bill which representatives were not going to read but, thank God someone did.

17. bhudda

February 20, 2013 at 9:41 pm

It’s definately unreasonable search . We have a Constituion that says this isn’t going to happen .

18. William Weeks

February 20, 2013 at 11:47 pm

what we have to do is clear! next election we have to send our elected officials a pink slip.
    “throw them out of office” that is the only thing they will understand.
    we should have done this decades ago!

19. William Weeks

February 21, 2013 at 3:38 am

Fascist state in action;Olympia this session calls for the sheriff to inspect the homes of assault-weapon owners.

and if they don’t like what they find…then what are you put into a boxcar and sent to a re-education camp?
    _____________________________________________________________________________

First they came for the semi auto rifles

and I didn’t speak out because I didn’t own semi auto rifle.

Then they came for the semi auto pistols

and I didn’t speak out because I didn’t own a auto pistols

Then they came for the hunting rifles and shotguns

and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a hunter

Then they came for me,

and there was no one left to speak for me.

Now I am a slave of the Government