Milwaukee County Sheriff: You Can Hide Under The Bed, Or You Can Fight Back

2nd Amend.

Milwaukee County Sheriff: You Can Hide Under The Bed, Or You Can Fight Back

A sheriff who urged Milwaukee-area residents in a radio ad to learn to handle firearms so they can defend themselves is dismissing pointed criticism from the city’s mayor — calling the mayor’s response “weak” and telling Fox News “my job is to protect the public.”

Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke Jr. stirred controversy after releasing a 30-second radio ad saying budget cuts have hurt officers’ ability to respond.

“With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option,” he said in the ad. “You can beg for mercy from a violent criminal, hide under the bed, or you can fight back. … Consider taking a certified safety course in handling a firearm so you can defend yourself until we get there.”

1. Tomtom

January 28, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Obama, you and Feinstein and this corrupt Congress pass laws that exempt themselves. Do they think Americans are Stupid, we know hypocrites when we see them !!!!

• Arizona Don

January 28, 2013 at 4:32 pm

The short answer, YES.

• digdeeper

January 29, 2013 at 12:05 am

Right on!

2. bmwsid

January 28, 2013 at 4:20 pm

It wouldn’t be so bewildering if it weren’t our own government we have to face!

• hydy

January 28, 2013 at 4:23 pm

do somthing , demand from the congress to impeach that thug in the oval office ,

• BigDog1702

January 28, 2013 at 5:33 pm

You have it right we need Congress to Impeach Obama NOW

• William Leland

January 28, 2013 at 4:52 pm

scary that the lib-tards have this much power

3. olbill

January 28, 2013 at 4:20 pm

great cop wish we had him here in Illinois as for me I a retired and disabled vet will fight back

• fullback6

January 28, 2013 at 7:22 pm

I’m with you brother, I’m retired and disabled vet as well and I’ll be fighting right with you.

• slobo

January 28, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Me too DAV Life Member, NRA Life Member (beginning to wonder why)…wish I had saved my money so I could get out of Ellanoise! How will we stand up when they come for confiscation? To die? From my cold dead hands…I am willing!

• ARMEDFORCESOFGOD

February 1, 2013 at 12:39 pm

4. caskinner

January 28, 2013 at 4:25 pm

I will not hide. I will fight. A shot gun is the best way for me.

5. crazyfreddie

January 28, 2013 at 4:25 pm

SMART AND CARING POLICE OFFICIAL > ALL AMERICANS NEED TO HEED THIS WARNING > THIS HAPPENING DAILY . REMEMBER IF THE PURP CAN’T TALK > YOU ARE SURLY TO RE IN THE RIGHT. i MY WIFE JUST GOT HER PERMIT . WHY IS IT THAT WOMEN ( SEEMS TO ME ) >> THAT THEY JUST CAN’T WAIT TO USE THAT REVOLVER >> . I LIKE IT !!! I FEEL SAFER ALREADY

6. John Parker

January 28, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Being on Social Security. I sure could use a 12 gauge. But can’t afford one.

• william Leland

January 28, 2013 at 4:57 pm

John, you don’t need a Wingmaster, buy one of those lo cost Walmart self defense 12 ga. pump with the pistol grip it has only one use self protection. you don’t need the 00 buck loads some 7.5 bird shot will do the job. the sound at night in a quiet house of a home owner chambering a round with pump action will send them back the way they came it one loud scary sound. Simper Fi

• leesjokers

January 28, 2013 at 5:42 pm

john….SO AM I…TRADE SOMETHING FOR A SHOT GUN 12 GA DDL.O BUCK….

7. MadPunter1963

January 28, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Finally, a cop who understands that safety has to start with the individual and isn’t afraid to say it. You don’t hear firefighters saying, “You shouldn’t have fire extinguishers in your home. Putting out fires is OUR job.” Or EMT’s saying, “Why does anyone need a first aid kit? That’s what WE’RE for.” The public fully expects the police to say exactly that and is shocked when one applies a little common sense.

8. RM Molon labe

January 28, 2013 at 4:44 pm

I refuse to be a victim. Any unconstitutional law they pass is NOT law. I don’t understand.When these politicians tell me to give up my God given right of self protection, while hiding behind armed body guards or secret service protection. Not to mention any new ”gun laws” would NOT apply to them.That’s right! EXEMPT from their decrees on restricting MY rights! Hypocritical? I should say so…Molon labe!

• bobvelon

February 3, 2013 at 10:50 pm

I will not comply and any laws they attempt to pass will be unconstitutional and illegal…

9. Old Retired Copper

January 28, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Great advice from a veteran law enforcement officer who knows the problems of waiting for a 911 response. He was NOT irresponsible in his advice as he told residents to get training and then prepare to defend themselves. If we had more officers in positions of authority like Sheriff Clarke this country would be much better off. Thanks for a display of good old common sense!!!!

10. DJ_Fisher

January 28, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Usually, well at least in horror films, the one hiding under the bed gets eaten. I myself discourage any aggressive actions from everyone. There is just something about my eyes. I think they can see their own deaths in them.

11. William Leland

January 28, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I think this Sheriff articulated the facts very well. As a hunter & ex US Marine I’ve no issues with
    killing any intruder.

• Ginger

January 28, 2013 at 9:20 pm

This is one sheriff who knows what is right…when seconds count,,the police are minutes away…it is called a partnership with the law…or, as I call it…an equalizer.

12. The Old Man

January 28, 2013 at 4:53 pm

I few years ago a man asked me a simple question. Who are you the most afraid of .. the Mafia or the Federal Government. Back then I might have said the Mafia, however now it’s the federal government.
    They can tell you what to eat, how high to set your thermostat, they can take your property, they can force you to pay for someone elses bad habits and health care, and they can tell you how to raise your kids. The list goes on and on. They know we are going to get the S**Ts of all this control and begin to assemble to fight back…. SO NOW… IT’S TAKE YOUR GUNS. when that happens, we will be fully under the control of the government… that’s the goal.
    I will never BOW to them the way Obama did to the enemies of this country. What a wimp !!!

• OldDocBen

January 28, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Well said and sadly true; but only if we let them. We have the power. If they come to take your neighbors guns fight them or you will be fighting alone when they come for yours. Want to stop this crap? Have every truck driver in America stay home for a week. Tell the cowards in congress you will get back in the truck when you can take a gun with you. If they don’t listen don’t fly anywhere. Tell them you will fly once you are allowed to defend yourself in the air. Congress is all about power and money. Take that away from them and they are pathetic cowards. Fight! In every way! Never give up!

13. 9Spoon9

January 28, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Tell ’em like it is Sheriff Clarke! A responsible Chief LEO telling citizens to take responsibility and even seek proper training for neophytes…most commendable!

14. Roy

January 28, 2013 at 5:29 pm

I was verbally scolded in one of the most violent neighborhoods in chicago for recommending home owners buy and REGISTER shotguns to protect themselves being that is the law here in Chicago. That was my first year on the job. I guess the alderman of englewood would rather have victims.

15. leesjokers

January 28, 2013 at 5:40 pm

SHERIFF CLARKE…..BRAVO HATS OFF TO YOU….TO HAVE THE BA*LS TO SEND THAT AD !!! EVERY SHERIFF IN EVERY COUNTY SHOULD JOIN TOGETHER TO STOP THIS MISSCARRIAGE OF JUSTICE !!!!!!!!! GOD BLESS AMERICA & SUPPORTERS OF THE CONSTITUTION…..

16. BigDog1702

January 28, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Way to go Sheriff ,we need more people like you who are telling the truth and not being PC .

• LEL

January 28, 2013 at 5:50 pm

and from Milwaukee no less. Wish he were my sheriff.

17. Patriot_765

January 28, 2013 at 5:45 pm

We called 911 for a prowler last month… 25 min later we got a call from local police… Folks, unless you are rich and famous, you are on your own.

18. LEL

January 28, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Well now every thieving thug in the nations knows where I’m hiding when they break in. DAM !

19. LEL

January 28, 2013 at 5:54 pm

THANK YOU Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke Jr.

20. jimmy john

January 28, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Missouri needs a few like him ours are spineless

21. Edward P Cox

January 28, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I lived in Milwaukee for 37 years. It is a Marxist stronghold (had a socialist mayor for years, then Democrat) but the county is more civilized. No pun intended, but the Sheriff seems like a straight shooter.

22. giley1

January 28, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Kudos to sheriff Clarke Jr. We need more like him around the country. He is in good company with sheriff Arpaio of Arizona. Here in CA we have some 13 sheriffs in rural counties that have the same mindset. Los Angeles is another case. Give illegals drivers license and no impounds of unlincensed drives’ vehicles.

23. ken Locke

January 28, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Alright David Clarke!! Sounds like a great american sheriff, Kudos!!!

24. Lgbpop

January 28, 2013 at 7:34 pm

“Milwaukee Deputy Sheriffs’ Association?” How many deputy sheriffs are in that county that they need their own association? Perhaps this could be one area the county could save a few hundred thousand dollars’ worth of taxpayer money, and put more uniforms on the street.

25. OldDocBen

January 28, 2013 at 8:09 pm

My Dad was that kind of cop; and the kind that carried three guns and two knives. He arrest few, counseled many and, in my opinion, saved hundreds of wayward kids with exactly that kind of attitude. Too bad most cops today are political thugs and Obama weenies; and they WILL come to your house to confiscate your “illegal” guns. Don’t let them. Fight til your last breath and die free people!

26. ole' Chas

January 28, 2013 at 9:01 pm

I already have a 9mm pistol,but will be trading in a .380 for a shotgun this weekend.

27. $7872008

January 28, 2013 at 9:49 pm

The Sheriff is the only voter elected official in each county. They took an oath to uphold our Constitution. They are not responsible to Governors or State elected or appointed Representatives. The are required to uphold all laws subject to the Constitution and serve the people to the best of their ability. Many other appointed and elected representatives have chosen to dishonor their oath’s and disregard the Constitution, This Sheriff has chosen to serve with honor and is entitled to your consideration and respect.. Those he serves should give him support. He deserves our consideration.

28. A. G. T. Jr.

January 28, 2013 at 10:59 pm

I was once a cop assigned to a police crime lab and I’m with you all the way, brother. God bless you and may your tribe increase!!!

29. digdeeper

January 29, 2013 at 12:04 am

Love this guy! Finally someone who has taken the oath of office to defend and uphold the Constitution, understands it, and is keeping it. He’s a hero in y book!

30. bob

January 29, 2013 at 7:25 am

Awesome viewpoint from a law enforcement officer. I’ve spoken to many of my local police here in Buffalo Grove and Wheeling Illinois and they all agree that everyone should consider concealed carry. A policeman carries a gun to protect himself during his intervention at a crime scene. He doesn’t carry it to protect us.

31. TexasLady

January 29, 2013 at 12:08 pm

God bless this man!!! Wish we had some politicians with this kind of backbone!

32. TPS12

January 30, 2013 at 8:00 pm

A man with a brain.

33. ARMEDFORCESOFGOD

February 1, 2013 at 12:31 pm

God bless this comitted patriotic American who joined the force to actually “serve AMERICANS” not the politicians. the most logical, sensible, honest, reasonable and to the point thing to tell the people yoiu are serving. GOD BLESS HIM & OTHERS LIKE HIM

34. ARMEDFORCESOFGOD

February 1, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Well, I don’t think they will send cops for cofiscation – it’ll have to be a military operation. there is only about 5% of the military Who’d do it. The rest of us are commited to our oaths and creeds e.g. I am a United States Sailor. I will support and defend the constitution of the United States of America….. So this sailor ain’t fighting any Americans who are practicing and/or defending their constitutional rights.