Connect with us

Man dies after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning on camping trip

Camping

Man dies after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning on camping trip

A holidaymaker has died and his wife is seriously ill in hospital after they suffered suspected carbon monoxide poisoning while on a camping trip in the Lake District.

Chris and Jane Bainbridge had been spending a weekend break in Ullswater, Cumbria. After they failed to return home to Darlington, in County Durham, relatives raised the alarm.

When staff at the Quiet Site caravan park in Watermillock, Ullswater, searched the wooden cabin where the couple had been staying, they discovered the body of 45-year-old Bainbridge and his 43-year-old wife, who was unconscious.

A doctor pronounced him dead at the scene, and paramedics took his wife to Cumberland infirmary.

Although the cause of death has yet to be officially determined, paramedics who attended the scene on Monday afternoon suspect it to be carbon monoxide poisoning. It is thought the couple had brought their barbecue into the cabin for warmth and closed the doors.

GET MORE STORIES LIKE THIS

IN YOUR INBOX!

Sign up for our daily email and get the stories everyone is talking about.


More in Camping

GET MORE STORIES LIKE THIS

IN YOUR INBOX!

Sign up for our daily email and get the stories everyone is talking about.

To Top
STAY IN THE LOOP
Don't miss a thing. Sign up for our email newsletter to become a Patriot Outdoor News insider.

Send this to friend