(NYTimes) – A gunman opened fire Friday in a crowded baggage claim area at the airport in Fort Lauderdale, killing at least five people and wounding at least eight others, officials said.
A suspect has been taken into custody, the Broward County sheriff’s office said, and the injured have been taken to an area hospital.
“He was a lone shooter and we have no evidence at this time that he was acting with anyone else,” Barbara Sharief, a Broward County commissioner, told CNN.
Witnesses told news outlets that the gunman, who appeared to be a man in his 20s wearing a “Star Wars” T-shirt, had been firing into the crowd at baggage claim. The Broward County sheriff, Scott Israel, said that no shots were fired by law enforcement, countering reports that the gunman had been shot by the police.
Sheriff Israel said at a news conference that the gunman was arrested without incident.
John Schlicher, who told MSNBC that he witnessed the attack, described the gunman as a “slender man” who was “directly firing at us” while passengers waited for their bags to come off the carousel.
“I put my head down and prayed,” Mr. Schlicher told the television network.
Local television news stations showed video footage of medics taking care of a bleeding victim outside the airport. News helicopters showed hundreds of people standing on the tarmac as an ambulance drove by.
Senator Bill Nelson identified the gunman as Esteban Santiago, who was carrying a military identification.