Pentagon says ‘no’ to arming service members at U.S. bases
As states around the nation mourn the loss of the four Marines and one Sailor killed in Chattanooga last week, governors are at the same time making decisions about arming service members at recruiting offices and armories. Every state seems to be taking a different approach. However, this morning the Pentagon put out a definitive “No” to arming service members on domestic military bases, in spite of a growing push from Congress to do so. Pentagon spokesman, Navy Capt. Jeff Davis said yesterday, that Defense Secretary Ash Carter is waiting on recommendations from all five military services.
Tennessee’s Gov. Bill Haslam indicated temporary security measures are now in place after the shooting rampage last week that left five military men dead. The Kuwait-born, apparently radicalized, Mohammad Youssuf Abdulazeez was killed at the scene by responding police officers. Hundreds of rounds of ammunition were fired in the rampage that left Gunnery Sgt. Thomas Sullivan, Staff Sgt. David Wyatt, Sgt. Carson Holmquist and Lance Cpl. Squire Wells dead at the scene. They were all U.S. Marines. Navy Petty Officer Second Class Randall Smith died later of massive injuries he suffered in the attack.
Oregon will not be arming their Guard Soldiers, but Texas and Florida stepped up almost immediately following the attack saying they were making a change. Louisiana, Indiana, and Arkansas, all announced on Saturday that they had ordered their National Guard Soldiers at offices and other unspecified facilities to be armed.